Imagine if the media did not uphold Western racism and bias. Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot in the treatment of minorities and current events. You might get stories such as the following:
The Aotearoa Times, 20 March 2018
A former company director of European-Paheka descent admits he ripped off West Cheviot Finance (WCF) to the tune of $23 million – spending more than $1m on “various female companions”. The Serious Fraud Office (SFO) has revealed John Peter Carpenter’s spending habits after the former Gemfine Finance director pleaded guilty to six charges of dishonestly using documents, and two charges of false accounting.
The six charges against the well-known figure in the European community involved $23 million in fraud against SCF and related to 894 false transactions. WCF went into receivership in August, 2010 and triggered a $1.6 billion Government payout under the Crown’s retail deposit guarantee scheme.
In the Cheviot District Court today, Judge Mary Latimer said due to the “magnitude” of Carpenter’s offending the 54-year-old would be held in custody until his sentencing on May 3. “The loss to WCF as a consequence of the defendant’s offending is at least $23 million, which is a loss that will ultimately be borne by the New Zealand taxpayer,” said Judge Latimer.
She went on to say that, “His actions raise real questions about whether Europeans are ready to be put into positions of financial trust involving taxpayer’s money. It pains me to say it, but this case poses some serious and difficult questions for the European-Paheka community. The New Zealand public will not tolerate the profligate and dishonest waste of taxpayers’ money.”
The Kabul Telegraph, 21 March 2018
At least five Afghan military personnel could face a disciplinary review in connection with the recent burnings of American flags at a military base in Austin, Texas. An official familiar with the ongoing probe says a joint Afghan-U.S. team is convinced the burnings were not intentional.
But, two Kabul lawmakers are convinced extremists are intentionally using the incident to whip up anti-Afghan sentiment and increase violence against Afghan soldiers stationed in Texas to support to the fledgling democratic government.
“Just last month, we buried a corporal from Kandahar and it was an American soldier who turned on him, a trusted associate,” said Parliamentarian Shar Maliki. “This is getting outrageous. One thing, we should never apologize. This is just an excuse to inflict harm upon Afghans,” Maliki said. “Americans need to join the twenty-first century and realize that it’s just a piece of cloth. They may revere their flag, but killing in revenge for burning a flag is primitive behavior and cannot be tolerated.”
“This is being done by our enemies, by the so-called Sons of Texas, by the people who are using this flag-burning as an excuse to inflame the local population,” said MP Kaled Gulam Rasul. “It’s not being done by run-of-the-mill people, it’s being done by people who are looking for an excuse to say something bad and stir people up against the Afghans, who are only there to help,” Rasul said.
However, in a video-taped response from the Sons of Texas group posted on Youtube, their spokesman said, “After invading our land, killing our women and children every day in drone attacks, torturing people in their bases and urinating on the corpses of loyal Americans killed doing their patriotic duty, this was the final straw. We call on the American people to rise up and throw out the aggressors.” The spokesman went on to say that because the Afghan army had been in Texas for ten years, they ought to know by now how much the flag meant to Americans. “Nobody who desecrates our sacred flag can expect to escape the most severe retribution”, the spokesman said.
The official probe into the incident is expected to deliver its report by December.
The Palestine Daily, 22 March 2018
Livid American officials last night pointed the finger at Israel over a plot to kill Palestine’s ambassador on US soil.
As Britain lined up alongside the States to back any reprisals, President Michelle Lopez ordered a probe into Tel Aviv’s part in the plan. It came after an alleged plan to bomb a favourite Washington restaurant of ambassador Mohammad Ahmed was uncovered. Two Israeli nationals have now been charged with offences including conspiracy to murder a foreign official.
A spokesman for the White House said: “President Lopez underscored that the United States believes this plot to be a flagrant violation of US and international law. She reiterated our commitment to meet our responsibilities to ensure the security of diplomats serving in our country, or any other. She pointed out that Israel had a well-documented record of this sort of behavior. It must not be tolerated.”
Tel Aviv has dismissed the allegations but Britain said it would stand beside America in any action. A Downing Street spokesman said: “We congratulate the US authorities on the successful operation to disrupt a conspiracy to attack diplomats in the United States. The United Kingdom is in close touch with the US authorities on this case. We will support measures to hold Iran accountable for its actions.”
In a statement, Prime Minister Dipak Patel’s office said: “Indications that this plot was directed by elements of the Israeli regime are shocking. We will support measures to hold Israel accountable for its actions.”
US officials also said that the Iranian embassy in Washington was to have been attacked. One of the defendants appeared briefly at a New York City court yesterday. He did not enter a plea and was held without bail. He could face a life prison sentence if convicted on all charges, the Department of Justice said.
Israel’s official News Agency called the charges a “propaganda campaign” by the US government against Tel Aviv. The allegations were “a comedy show fabricated by America”, an Israeli foreign ministry spokesman told Reuters.